Dedicated July 4, 1929, the monument was placed in memory of the War Dead of Norfolk County. Cradock Post 1119 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States placed the monument. It consists of a plaque and a war cannon. The Men of the Norfolk Navy Yard (Norfolk Naval Shipyard) cast and presented the plaque to the veterans. Children raised in Cradock play on the cannon at some point in their life, making it a well known community landmark. It is located inside the park at Afron Square.