First Presbyterian Church, a Virginia historical site, was organized in 1822. The cornerstone of the first church building had been laid on August 15, 1821 on a lot at the northwest corner of the intersection of Middle and London Streets. At that time, it was named The Presbyterian Church in Portsmouth. Fire destroyed the building in 1871 and a new one was erected on the same site. In January 1877, another fire destroyed the second building. The congregation then purchased a lot on the corner of Court and King Streets, where the current church building is located.
First Presbyterian Church, a Virginia historical site, was organized in 1822.