The cornerstone for the second Cradock High School was laid in 1952 and the school opened in 1954. It housed grades 7-12. The school closed in 1992 but the cornerstone was saved and placed in Afton Square, located in historic Cradock along with the Anchor of Friendship presented to the Cradock Admirals in 1979. In addition to the anchor, the bell from the U.S.S. Gettysburg was also presented to the Cradock Admirals. The bell is referred to as the Victory Bell” and it was rung seven times after each athletic victory. Both the Anchor of Friendship and the 1952 Cornerstone make up today’s memorial. Find this monument inside Afton Square.
About the original Cradock School
Built in 1918, the original building for Cradock High School opened in with sixteen teachers and 546 students in grades 1-11. It was named for Admiral Cradock who was killed at sea off the coast of Chile in 1914. Learn more by visiting the Come Home to Cradock webpage.