Experience the best of the best with this Top 8 list of things to do and see in Portsmouth.
Walk through history and see Olde Towne’s origins and it’s continued evolution.
Plan for your visit and explore Portsmouth with the Visitor Directory.
Discover a variety of locally-owned bars and restaurants with outdoor dining throughout Portsmouth, Virginia. From waterfront decks with spectacular river views to secluded garden patios and sidewalk cafés, find it in Portsmouth. Olde Towne is known for outdoor dining venues, but Midtown and Churchland will not disappoint.
When you look for “outdoor dining near me,” look at Portsmouth, Virginia. This article describes some of Portsmouth’s waterfront dining, garden patio restaurants, and sidewalk cafés. For a more comprehensive list of dining options, visit the Where to Dine section of our website. Bon Apetit!
Editors Note: During the re-opening after the pandemic, we suggest you call before visiting any of these businesses as re-opening schedules may vary.
Remarkable Sunsets at Fish and Slips on the Elizabeth River
Portsmouth, Virginia is located along the Elizabeth River and shares a waterfront with downtown Norfolk. The working harbor bustles with commercial, military, and leisure boat traffic. There is always something to see when dining outdoors at a Portsmouth waterfront restaurant.
10 Crawford Parkway Portsmouth, Virginia 23704 (757) 998-6631
Offers take-out and dockside pick up. Expanded outdoor dining options include upper deck, marina level and poolside under the tent. So visit the Fish & Slips website for complete menu and check Facebook page for daily specials. Open everyday for lunch and dinner. Weekend brunch starting soon. Will deliver to boats that pull into Tidewater Yacht Marina. Curbside pickup available at the Gazebo on Dock B of the marina.
1 High Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704 (757) 998-6733
Outdoor dining on the patio at High Street Landing across from the Elizabeth River Ferry stop. $5 crowlers to go. Open Tuesday through Saturday from 12 p.m – 8 p.m. . So visit the Legend Brewing Depot Facebook page for daily specials and to view the latest menu.
425 Water Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704 (757) 673-3065
Located at the Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel, foggy Point’s Executive Chef Mike Tomlin has refreshed the patio dining menu with all new selections, including bang-BANG shrimp served in a Chinese take-out box with chopsticks. The patio overlooks the Elizabeth River with a beautiful view of the Norfolk skyline. Open Tuesday through Saturday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Locals, flash your Portsmouth ID and get 15% off food purchases. Sit back, relax and enjoy the view. Learn more on Instagram.
English Ivy Covered Garden Dining at Cafe Europa
Outdoor dining in a garden setting makes for a very memorable dining experience. Local chefs prepare delicious foods, bartenders pour perfectly-paired wines, beers, and cocktails, and you’re seated in a secluded garden, surrounded greenery and seasonal flowers. Outdoor garden restaurants and bars in Portsmouth, Virginia are always a welcome surprise.
611 Airline Boulevard Portsmouth, Virginia 23707 (757) 673-7799
Full menu of pizza and Italian specialties available for take-out and curbside pickup from 11 a.m. until 9 p.m. daily. Covered and uncovered outdoor seating available. Visit the Amici’s website for the full menu and the Amici’s Facebook page for daily specials. Wine and beer takeout offered.
438 High Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704 (757) 393-6022
Outdoor dining includes covered and uncovered patio plus a courtyard patio located behind the bar. Curbside delivery with prepaid orders. Delivery available. Beer and wine and special discounts. The Bier Garden restaurant serves authentic German cuisine and American fare, along with over 400 styles of imported beers. So, visit the Bier Garden Facebook page for special daily offers.
319 High Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704 (757) 364-5570 Food available for take-out or curbside pickup on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Wine take out also available. Ask about a pairing! The garden patio is small, so with call for reservation. Call one day in advance of your desired pickup for menu selections and to place your to go order.
Sidewalk Dining and a Beer Toast at Baron’s Pub
Outdoor dining bars and restaurants include a variety of sidewalk dining options. Many of the spaces are small, so you might want to give a call about possibly reserving a seat. If you enjoy people watching, then sidewalk dining is for you.
619 High Street, Portsmouth, Virginia 23704
(757) 392-2477 Take-out and curbside pick-up, including growlers. The patio is partially covered. Check 619 Cantina Facebook page for special offers. Beer to go. Open daily from 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
500 High Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704
(757) 399-4840. Offering take-out, including family dinner specials or enjoy your meal on the front patio. Beer and Wine take-out. Visit Baron’s Pub Portsmouth website for complete menu.
506 Dinwiddie Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704
(757) 392-3465 A small sidewalk patio along an Olde Towne side street. Authentic Mexican cuisine. Visit the Cancun Fiesta website for complete menu.
300 High Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704 (757)391-9191
The Coffee Shoppe in Olde Towne Portsmouth is much more than just coffee. The shop offers curbside takeout of food and coffee. Open from 7 a.m. – 2 p.m. Monday – Friday and 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturday. Learn more on the Coffee Shoppe Facebook page.
455 Court Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704 (757) 988-2040 Located on the corner of Queen and Court Streets, Gino’s offers pizzas, entrees, subs, and calzones. Pick-up, delivery, and dine in available. A beautiful sidewalk patio in the heart of Olde Towne Portsmouth. For a full menu, visit the Gino’s Pizza website.
702 High Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704 (757) 606-2666
Accepts orders to go and curbside pickup daily from 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. Small and intimate sidewalk patio. They also offer Grub Hub delivery. Growler fills are $10 and all bottle and canned beers are 50% off. So visit the Gosport Tavern Facebook page for full menu and daily specials.
509 High Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704
(757) 606-3990 Covered patio centrally located in the High Street entertainment district. Large selection of beers on tap. American fare. Visit the Griff’s Restaurant and Sports Lounge Olde Towne Facebook page for more information.
612 Court Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704
(757) 399-6120 Available for take-out, curbside pickup, and delivery within a five mile radius of the restaurants. Festive sidewalk patio perfect for enjoying a margarita. Daily specials on the Guad’s Olde Towne Facebook page. See the full menu on Guad’s website and place your order by phone.
501 High Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704
(757) 606-2949 Northern California hand tossed pizza, spirits, and large selection of beers with 40 taps. Small front and side patios for your outdoor enjoyment. Visit the Humboldt Steel website for more information.
440 High Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704 (757) 399-4010
Service available on both the front and side patios. Offering full menu for curbside pick-up daily. Beer available for take-out. View the full menu on the Longboards website and look for daily specials on the Longboards Facebook page.
3228 Academy Avenue Portsmouth, Virginia 23707 (757) 383-9572
Momac Brewing is Portsmouth’s hometown brewery located in the Churchland neighborhood of the city. A variety, and changing, list of hand-crafted brews available to enjoy on the patio or to take away, including growlers and crowlers. Take out special, enjoy 3-32 oz Crowlers for $30. Food available from food trucks or from restaurants located next door. Visit the Momac Brewing Company website for more information.
467 Court Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704 (757) 966-1229
Great sidewalk patio facing Court Street in Olde Towne Portsmouth. Pizza, sandwiches, and a variety of entrées available. Check their Olde Towne Public House Facebook page for daily specials like Taco Tuesday or a $9.99 BBQ sandwich platter. Visit the Public House website for more information.
316 High Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704
(757) 399-5377 Offers curbside pick-up or delivery through Door Dash for all take-out orders. Large, covered patio accented with a variety of flower baskets makes for a lovely High Street dining experience. Chicken and Waffles are back on the menu. Use the Order Online button on the Roger Brown’s website or look for daily specials on the Roger Brown’s Facebook page.
425 High Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704 (757) 773-2672 Small sidewalk patio next door to the Commodore Theatre, fronting High Street. Take-out, curbside and Portsmouth delivery is available Tuesday through Saturday. Choose you favorite bottle of wine or ask Mandy to recommend an ideal pairing for your menu selection. Credit card purchases only. Visit Stellar Wine Co. Facebook page for weekly specials.
606 High Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704
(757) 966-1540 Authentic Thai food, fresh and spicy (or not). Enjoy dining on the front or side patio. Open daily for take-out, curbside, or delivery through Door Dash. Thai beers like Singha,and Chang are also available. Visit the Thai Basil website for Espress Lunch menu and full dinner menu and visit the Thai Basil Facebook page for daily and weekly specials.
515 Washington Street Portsmouth, Virginia 23704 (757) 392-3992
The perfect place for breakfast, brunch, or lunch. Wide seating area on the outdoor sidewalk patio. Full service bar for those brunch Bloody Marys or Mimosas. Breakfast served all day, lunch items also available. Take out and curbside is offered. Note: During phase 1 re-opening, outdoor seating time is limited to 45 minutes when there is a wait. Reservations for outdoor seating is highly recommended. No waiting inside the building.